Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Co sleeping

Co sleeping
Bed sharing

Whatever you want to call it, we do it.
I always swore I wouldn't, i thought it wasn't safe, it created bad habits, our bed will never be ours again.

But somehow it happened, and I love it. And now as MV is approaching five months it makes me sad to know it's time to transition him to his own bed.

What started out of convenience (limited mobility from emergency c section), has turned into a bonding experience I love. I love how easy night time feeds are, I love feeling my little guy shimmy and snuggle up close while he's still sleeping, waking to see him already awake and staring at me with such anticipation in his eyes.

But eventually he must sleep on his own, and hubby and I need our own space.

And tonight I'm awake writing this because tonight I put MV down in his pack n play instead of my bed. He's less than 3 feet away but I can't sleep and I miss him. This is the first step and once he starts sleeping better (or the summer ends whichever comes first) he will then move down the hall to his own room... I'm not even going to comment on the anxiety I feel about that.

The deal tonight is I put him on his own and when he wakes to feed I can bring him back to bed. I'm secretly hoping he wakes soon ;)

Because seriously who wouldn't want to wake to see this?

3 comments:

KC said...

Adorable, my boys don't sleep with us but I always think it would be nice because I don't get as many cuddles as I like. Originally we were going to have the boys in our room but they grunted and flapped all night so they have been in their own cribs from week 2. I often go in and check up on them throughout the night. The good thing is they have been sleeping through the night since 3 and a half months the bad news is less time with those adorable faces.
Good Luck!

Accidentally Me said...

We used to bring them into the bed if they woke up because it was just much easier to get them back to sleep. Now their cribs are converted, so they can walk in and get us if they wake up. And I NEVER mind them sleeping with us - it is super cozy.

One of them does it almost every morning around 6:00...comes in with her stuffed animals and blanket and goes back to sleep for a while. The other one usually doesn't, and then immediately greats us with a very proud "I slept in the bed ALL NIGHT!" when we finally get her in the morning.

Maria said...

you're right - who wouldn't wanna wake to that!? he is precious and looks so peaceful!
awww, i am sending good luck with the moving to his own bed. i'm sure it's gotta tug at your heart so much. i can imagine how wonderful it feels to have him beside you. <3
xoxoxo
maria