Monday, November 5, 2012

Harder than I thought.

This parenting thing is difficult.
Much more difficult than I ever thought it would be. Sometimes I feel like I was completely unprepared.

Sometimes I worry if how I'm feeling is normal, if I'm the only one to deal with this life. Every now and then someone validates my feelings and tells me how they feel or felt the same. It's nice to hear that, nice to know its not only you.

When I was pregnant I had this vision of what it would be like to have a baby. I imagined having a perfect, well kept, organized house. Plenty of time to do crafts, and take tons of photographs of my baby most of which would be inspired by my pinterest finds. Of course dinner would be made ever night and our life would be full of nothing but rainbows and unicorns.
Of course in this dream world I would also look fabulous because I would drop the baby weight quickly and buy a chic and stylish new wardrobe. We would be oh so happy.

Ok reality check time...

I spent the first 6 months postpartum covered in baby puke.
I've lost too much weight to wear my maternity clothes but not near enough to wear my regular clothes.
I feel like a slob, My self image is crap. And buying a stylish new wardrobe is out of the question while on maternity leave.
My baby cries and whines a lot. He's very happy but also very emotional in general.
He relies on me for everything. Duh obviously right? Ya I knew this but I didn't anticipate how mentally exhausting it would be to be relied on like this. Sometimes I need/want a break.
I'm probably more emotional and easier to anger now than while pregnant. My hormones are out of control and my hair is still falling out.
I am ashamed and disappointed in my lack of photographs of my child.
I don't have any spare time. What you might consider spare time is usually taken by my own need to nap. No matter how much I nap I am still tired.
It's surprising how well I can function on so little sleep. It's even more surprising when all of a sudden my body realizes its exhausted and can no longer function properly.
I cook dinner maybe twice a week. The rest of the week we eat cereal, or left overs, or pancakes etc.
My marriage is strained, and at moments at risk of failing. I struggle daily with finding the balance of my roles as mother and wife.

I'm jealous of moms who have "easy" babies, moms who somehow have a life.

So that's how it is. Don't get me wrong I love my baby, my husband, my life. I just wanted to be honest and put that out there because I know that the few honest posts like this have really helped me feel better on those tougher days.

oxo


7 comments:

KC said...

Yep, check to all of the above. It is so hard and I worry about failing all of the time. Am I stimulating them enough, should I be doing more, Are their nutritional needs being met? I seriously don't think my husband has any of these concern. If feels like it is coming to a head right now. Every day I wonder if I am going to make it to the next. I can't imagine doing this for another 8 months (that's when my maternity leave is over). I love being home with the boys but it is hard.
I have an idea and don't brush it off. I have planned a girls getaway. One of my friends in coming in from Kingston so she could pick you up. We are going to go to Buffalo shopping (14 girls), then we are going to go back to go to dinner in Niagara Falls, hit the town a bit (let's be honest most of us are moms so we will be in bed pretty early) then we are staying over and having brunch the next day. You deserve this break. We will regroup and be fresh for the boys once again. You need to do something like this or you are going to totally burn out. I know I will. Don't worry about not knowing anyone, most of the girls I invited are from different groups of friends and don't know anyone.
Anyways, yet again I wish you lived closer.

Maria said...

You're doing a fabulous job, V - I loved the rawness and honesty in this post. I'm so sorry you aren't able to get more sleep...I truly admire mothers who function on little to no sleep and stay at home with their little ones...I always say to steve, I know what it's like to not get any sleep when it comes to restless, sleepless, heartbreaking nights...but I have NO idea what it's like to not sleep and have a baby depending on me every hr or so at night. I see the photos you take of MV and they are gorgeous...I also see that he is one lucky little man to have you there by his side! Wishing you more sleep and a night out in the future - you deserve it!!!! Wish we lived closer! Thinking of you and sending love!
Xoxox
Maria

Unknown said...

all of your feelings are so normal. Even though Landon is my second child, I still have the same feelings. I am just now starting to feel like I'm sorta getting my shit together. But most days are spent in total chaos, my hair that hasn't been washed in days going every which way, dishes in the sink, and me dreaming of taking a nap or shower. Landon is super clingy as well and has super anxiety when I leave the room. Crazy stuff! But before you know it this crazy baby phase will be over. I think you are doing a fabulous job as a mom. MV is obviously very happy and in love with his mom. :-) Don't be hard on yourself; although I know as a mom that it is hard. xoxoxo

Britt said...

I could have written this post...in fact I may have started this post but was unable or unwilling to finish it and it is stuck in my drafts. It has to get better, eventually... Right?

V said...

It has too! Hang in there :)

V said...

I was thinking today that I wasn't sure when I washed my hair last... And I never did get the chance today lol
Thank you for the support and encouragement :) its nice to know this is all "normal"

V said...

Thank you for the support <3 I hope your night hawk ways are an advantage for you, or better yet I hope your baby sleeps!