Thursday, November 8, 2012

A Yes Parent

Now that MV is officially mobile he is getting into everything. Full on discovery mode is happening here, my kid is full of curiosity.

Hubby and I really do not want MV to turn into one of those toddlers whose favourite word is No, so we're trying hard not to say it...

Now of course we don't allow him to do just anything he wants, but within reason he is free to explore and when it's time to discourage something he is given an explanation ie "that is dirty don't put it in your mouth".

I know some other parents might be laughing right now, maybe even shaking their heads at this foolish first time mom; but so far this IS working. If said in the right tone MV will stop what he's doing... either that or get a devilish grin on his face and do it again which leads to said object being taken or him relocated.

My theory is this. I want him to be curious, to explore, problem solve, discover his surroundings and encourage learning.

I also want to encourage language development. Recently we were in the company of friends and family who each have an almost 2 year old child. These kids were actually only a week apart in age but it was amazing the difference in the language development and overall maturity for lack of a better word. The one spoke simple words like "no" and "ma" and "up" where as the other one spoke almost sentences. I noticed the difference in the way the parents each spoke to their child and I really think that has a lot to do with it. The one who spoke more fluently was spoken to by his parents in full sentences, and not in baby talk or simple commands. Hence our approach was influenced by this.

Have you seen this blog? Play at Home Mom; I found it when looking for resources for a friend and fell in love. The whole blog is about learning through play and discovery, encouraging independent thinking in your child. There are so many awesome ideas on how to encourage learning and imagination in your child.

Anyways, there are some days when saying no is needed but we are really trying hard to avoid it. I have already received some skeptical "good luck with that" responses from people about this, but I figure he's my first child and your supposed to learn with them right? ;) lol

4 comments:

KC said...

I am going to adopt this approach. I try not to say no just because I don't want it to be their first word but I never thought about explaining why they shouldn't do something. I like it. Thanks for the resource "play at home mom" I just checked it out and I really like it.

V said...

I love all their ideas on that website I have so many bookmarked lol

Maria said...

I am in complete agreement with you on children learning from what they hear and what you say and how you say it being a big factor in their speech. I think your approach is great!! :)
Hope your week starts off wonderful!
Xoxox
Maria

Britt said...

I am trying to do exactly the same thing! If you really think about it, when you tell a child simply "no" and give no explanation, they have no idea what the "yes" or right thing to do is. I look at it this way, my baby is learning everything brand new she doesn't know right from wrong until I teach her. If everything she does is "wrong" and I don't teach her what's right she'll never know.