Sunday, September 2, 2012

When?

When does it count?

It's quarter after six in the morning and I'm rocking MV because the poor goober has woken EVERY hour all night long.

So it's got me thinking, when can I officially say he has a tooth? Does it need to be all out there? Or as soon as the gum is split and the pearly white can be felt? Or maybe somewhere in between like when it resembles a tooth but still has growing to do?

Honestly this is a way longer process than my pre parent self ever thought. I. Assumed he would be fussy for an undetermined but not too long length of time, and then one day a tooth would be there standing tall and proud.

...

Not so much. This poor kid has been obviously teething since just he was three months old. Tons and I mean tons of drool, some drool induced pukes (which are disgusting and chunky), sporadic pure rage fits while pulling forcefully on his gums and tons of squeaky finger chewing.

Oh and nothing helps. We've tried teething rings, washcloths, Sophie the giraffe, Tylenol, Advil, pumkin butt organic teething oil, amber necklace, hazel wood necklace and probably more.

So back to my original question that prompted this half awake post.

When can I say he has a tooth? Currently our status is all of the above behaviors and upon visual examination you can see (if he doesn't get that goofy tongue in the way) that the gum has split and the beginnings of a pearly white is poking thru. If you touch it then you most definitely can feel the sharp hard tip. But to me I don't feel he HAS a tooth yet, what do I put in his baby book?

All the pressure of that darn baby book. LoL

Ohh and that reminds me, speaking of when does it count; how many "steps" does he have to take to say he can crawl? Cause were very close to that too :)

9 comments:

KC said...

Poor you and MV, this teething thing is brutal, I had no idea. My boys are drooling but showing no other signs. I would count a tooth as soon as I see the tip of the tooth, although that is just me. As far as crawling I am going to count it as soon as they move more than two steps forward more than 2 times.
I hope you get a nap today!

Unknown said...

If you can feel it than he has a tooth! In my opinion anyways! I'm sorry you had such a rough night, I was right there with you. Between both of my kids I didn't get any sleep last night. Colds and teeth are evil!! Hope tonight is better for you!

Rebecca said...

Our son is a shocking teether too. I claim them when you can see a whole line out and feel it. If other people can see it than just you, it must be a real tooth, yes?

Britt said...

Oh how awful! Poor MV! :( I am so not looking forward to teething, but so far no signs other than finger chewing and drool.

V said...

I like this theory! So far it's barely visible but it's there :)

V said...

Finger chewing and drool is how it started!

V said...

Thanks :) no nap but he was in a much better mood at least!

V said...

Hope your little ones are feeling better :(
I think I'm going to count the tooth once it's visible enough to get a picture of lol

Maria said...

i say you can count him getting a tooth!:) aww,v,i am sending lots of love to you guys as you go through this. big hugs!!

love the crawling photo!! <3<3<3