Friday, September 7, 2012

Nursery Signs & a Tooth!

I've been meaning to post all week but between teething and working on a few projects I've been pretty busy :)



MV's tooth officially broke thru enough to mark it on the calendar this past weekend!

I have a feeling there are a couple more just waiting to pop thru....


Here is one of my more recent projects....


I've known since I began planning the nursery (while pregnant) that I wanted some of those inspirational quote subway signs. You can find them all over Pinterest, and Etsy has a few different sellers as well; however I have a thing about buying things I'm capable of making. I don't do it.

So I started with Pinterest, and came across several different ways to do it yourself for these signs. You can find the tutorial's  I reviewed  hereand here ,and here , and here.  

In the end I opted for using stencils on Canvas. I purchased each canvas from the Dollarama for $2 each, the stencils were on clearance at Michaels for less than $5 and the paint was all left over from painting MVs room.

It took me some time to stencil the words on and try to make them as straight as possible I realize they are not perfectly straight but Im ok with it.

Deciding what to put on the signs was a little intimidating. There are so many options when it comes to nursery rhymes and songs. In the end I decided on Twinkle Twinkle because I like that song, I also wanted to have something with the alphabet and came across this sign here, the middle sign was found here.

I hope to eventually get good enough at freehand painting to stop using the stencils but for now I am stocking up and making a few more for Christmas presents :)

Hopefully I will have more pictures to post soon! 


5 comments:

KC said...

Wow, you skills are impressive, I love your canvases. I will make sure to do something like that with my students when I go back to work.
Wow, impressive picture. How on earth did you get MV to allow you to take that. My boys are way too wild....lol. Fynn's tooth isn't that far out, it is just the very tip showing.

Unknown said...

Love the signs!!!

V said...

Thank you! :)

V said...

Thank you :)
The tooth picture took a lot of effort lol in the end it consisted of hubby taking the picture while I kept my fingers (both hands) in MVs mouth. He wasn't very thrilled with the process lol

Maria said...

that is the cutest lil' tooth i ever did see!
you did SO well with the artwork! i LOVE them! you have such talent...i would not be so swift at keeping them so nice and straight...graet job! <3
xoxox
maria