Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Still going "strong"

Remember back when when Ty was only a few months old and I wrote this post?

Well we are still at it. And yes we are still having trouble.

It has been an exhausting ride breastfeeding this kid. As I said last time I've had mastitis multiple times, cracked nipples, and ongoing thrush issues.  Things seem to clear up and look good but then trouble starts right back up again.

My left nipple took 7 months to heal. Not even kidding, when I wrote about cracked nipples in that last post (he was almost 3 months old) the left one stayed damaged up until about a week ago. The turning point was it getting noticeably infected and the doctor had to write me a prescription for antibiotics. I think it startled her to see there was actual puss on my nipple, ya it was that bad. Partially because it was disguised as  combined with thrush again. It had also started to bleed from somewhere in the center of my nipple. I've searched google for help with that one but I can't find anything that describes what was happening. It was like instead of milk coming out of one of the ducts blood would come out instead. Milk blisters maybe?

Seriously hot mess over here.

I tried to give him formula. But he threw that up and now we know he has FPIES so if I were wanting to give him formula it would have to be some crazy allergen free expensive shit.  How am I supposed to justify spending that money when I have a free source of nutrition right here? I can't. No matter how miserable I get some days (those days are getting fewer).

Right now we are switching up our positioning and trying to get a better latch going again. It seems the appearance of his two bottom teeth (I've been horrible with updates) has caused some issues with latching. Now that the left side is healed my poor right nipple feels like it's going to be shredded off! That's been my good side all along!

Side note on pumping; I feel like I mentioned somewhere that it was taking forever to get any milk with my electric pump. Well I switched to a hand pump and holy mother of baby jesus I can now pump anywhere from 2-5oz in 5 minutes. jackpot! Who would have thought the hand pump would take the win! So glad I tried it, I still don't have more than two days worth stashed in my freezer but hopefully as Ty starts to eat more I will have more chances to pump and freeze it.

Until then we will continue on fighting this battle, both of us are two stubborn to do any different. He gets it from his momma ;)


No comments: