Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Mav allergy update

So on the topic of allergies I am pleased to say that Mav apparently does not have any.

Any IgE allergies that is; now knowing what I know about FPIES I am certain Mav's past reactions to banana's were FPIES reactions. But that will be something we explore on a different day.

As for the reactions he has been having since last summer, apparently he is not allergic to anything. He has recently been tested for seasonal environmental allergens and passed all those, he also passed two rounds of skin prick testing to check for common allergens as well as check some of the things we felt he was reacting to.

They all came back clear.

Now I should be jumping for joy with news like that, and believe me I am happy but that epi pen will not be leaving his bag any time soon. He has been participating in an allergy study since birth and one of the researchers commented on his reactions basically thinking that he may not be actually reacting but instead may just be overly sensitive. So for instance when I give him food that has ketchup on it, or ketchup to dip into his lips will start to look a little funny after a few bites. Same thing happened with chips he was given, and olives, and hotdogs.... It is the only pattern that seems to make sense. We were thinking his was having allergic reactions when that may not have been the case after all. Actually we know he's not allergic to those foods because of the testing.

So it makes it a little easier to go ahead and let him eat things, but I would be lieing if I said I wasn't nervous each time it happens. I try to limit those foods just in case.

The allergy study recently contacted us to actually do some blood work and use him as the non allergic control half of the next portion of the study. So we will be signing up for that. I really wish I had of signed Ty up for all of this, he would have made for a more interesting subject.

No comments: