Monday, April 30, 2012

Dogs and Babies

Meet Daisy 

Daisy is a miniature beagle, she is going on nine years old and has been part of our family for almost 8 years now. I got Daisy from the SPCA,  I was actually her third owner :( and by fluke and what I think was a little bit of fate she became my dog.

I wasn't supposed to be there. I wasn't "allowed" a dog. But that day, August 16th, 2004 I went to the SPCA with a friend to go look at the dogs.  And there she was. She had just been dropped off not even 24 hours before. She wasn't even in her proper cageing area I opened the door to the first kennel room and she was sitting in a cage straight ahead of me and I feel in love instantly.

So Daisy has spent the last 8 years being cuddled and spoiled by hubby and I, so naturally as my pregnancy neared an end we were curious/slightly worried how she would be with a baby around. You hear of people abandoning their dogs when babies enter the picture, and dogs becoming jealous and crazy behaviours. We didn't know anyone with babies that would have felt comfortable "testing her" reaction so we just hoped for the best.

And the best is what happened.

We brought home a receiving blanket for her to smell but I don't think we needed it. The first day home she was curious, and by the end of the first week she had become an attentive second mother. If you didn't respond fast enough to him she would come to you and try to heard you towards him like you were cattle lol.

She always likes to be as close as possible, she will sit on the floor in front of where ever he is to guard him. She will try to soothe his cries if he is in reach by attempting to lick whatever inch of skin she can find. When he is colicky we tend to go room to room trying anything we can to soothe him; Daisy follows along attentively right by your feet offering moral support. And at night MV almost always ends up in our bed at some point; once in the bed she will snuggle right up alongside him. It melts my heart.

She's no longer my dog. She belongs to MV now and you know what, I'm ok with that. I look forward to watching their relationship grow, he already is very aware of her presence and will reach out to touch her soft fur. We feel very blessed with how it all worked out.


5 comments:

Unknown said...

Love the pictures!! Daisy seems in love with your little guy. :-)

Britt said...

Oh how sweet!

Unknown said...

PS. I nominated you for an award! :)

Rachel said...

That touched my heart, so cute!

Maria said...

omygoodness, these are the sweetest photos!! i love that you all are snuggling together. i would never want to get up! the one of the two of them on the couch...ahhhh TOO CUTE!!
my brother has a beagle named gibson...he's a cutie just like daisy!
what an awesome relationship they have!! :) happy they are best of friends!!
xoxoxo
maria