Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Colic Cure

Ok so maybe not "cure" but seriously my exercise ball is a god send! It pretty much is the most effective thing I have to get MV to calm when fussy. We've tried the baby swing (which swings two directions), the vibrating chair, his rocking chair, gripe water, ovol gas drops and anything else we could think of. Nothing was helping, or at least helping well enough to give lasting relief.

And then I remembered... When pregnant I asked my Facebook friends what they felt their must have baby item was. One of my friends told me she used to use her exercise ball (yoga ball) to calm her fussy daughter. So I tried it and it's amazing how well it works.

MV is still gassy and fussy; sometimes he screams in pain and it breaks my heart. He now produces tears and they run down his cheeks at times. He's also still puking, that's actually gotten worse. We are managing the gassiness and crying, but the puking has gotten slowly worse.

So today I arranged for him to see our doctor and she thinks he has reflux. I had already done my research and I had decided it must be reflux or a milk allergy. I'm still not convinced it's not an allergy so I plan on cutting all dairy from my diet for a couple weeks and will slowly add things back. We started rinididine (sp?) today for the reflux, I was hesitant to put him on meds but he needs something. Hopefully it will be short term and we can wean him back off.

So not a cure I know but I highly suggest one of those balls. Amazing. Saved my sanity and really not that pricey. Plus I'd like to think it's somewhat of a workout while were doing it, ido after all spend numerous hours a day on it ;)

3 comments:

Accidentally Me said...

Reflux...I'm a genius!!!

I did the dairy thing, and cut out gassy foods, and I think it helped a little bit. Also, doing leg exercises helped them to pass gas, which made them feel better and giggle a lot, too. I am sure the doctor has gone over all of this stuff with you:-)

We went through two medicines for the reflux...I forget the names. And I want to say that they were on it for maybe 3-4 months? It works for a while, then it will seem less effective, and the doctor will up the dosage to match the baby's weight, then it will work for a while again and then seem less effective. But then, you will find that it stops getting less effective even as the baby grows and you can stop.

Rachel said...

I second the exercise ball. We keep one in the living room and one in the nursery. Bouncing helps us calm the baby down and helps her get some gas out.

Maria said...

so happy you found a great relief for his colic!! i've been thinking about you and hope the past days have granted you some peace after the past week you had. you're in my prayers <3
thank you so much for all your support, v!!
i wrote you back on fb...let's skype sometime :)
xoxox
maria