Saturday, October 26, 2013

Packing my hospital bag - round 2

Well this past Tuesday we made a trip to labour and delivery as I was having some pretty intense "period type" cramping and contractions. I was hesitant to go because I have in general been more uncomfortable this time around but figured being as my due date was never officially changed baby is technically still preterm so off we went. 

Well we did come home "luckily" (i use the term loosely)  still pregnant, but boy did I hear it from hubby! My bag was not yet packed and the stress of the day got to him. So to make him feel better and knock another thing off my list I started packing. 

For some reason packing this time proved much more difficult. Last time I searched the Internet for lists and packed anything and everything that was suggested. This time I stared at my bag thinking why even bother lol. 

I'm sure I will add a few more things as time gets closer but here is what I've come up with so far: 



~For the baby~
2 sleepers
2 onesies 
1 sleep gown 
1 pair of socks 
2 hats
3 different soothers 
diaper wipes
*car seat is ready and waiting with a blanket and fleece snow suit 
* I am considering packing baby stuff in the diaper bag and adding a few items for Mav as well. 

Now I would like to mention our hospital provides diapers, Vaseline and dry wipes (which I hated). So no need for those. And the only reason I am entertaining the idea of dressing baby is because the weather is getting cooler and you never know what the room temp will be there. Otherwise I would only bring a going home outfit. 

~My personal items~ 
Nursing bra and pads
Flip flops 
2 pairs of socks (one plain and one fleece)
Yoga pants 
Zip up sweater 
t shirt 
2 piece button up pajama set (still looking for a set)

I am not bringing underwear because I plan on using the mesh ones the hospital provides. They also provide monster size pads so no need to bring those. 


~ Toiletries~ 
Bag #1 holds: 
Toothbrush and toothpaste 
Travel size shampoo, conditioner, hair spray, and face cleanser
Hair brush 
Eye mask for sleep 
Razor

Bag #2 is my make up bag should I feel the urge to beautify myself:
Make up brushes 
Lips gloss
Mascara 
Eye shadow
Bronzer

Bag # 3 probably the most useful bag:
lip chap
Hair elastics
Bobby pins 
Nail file and clippers
2 hair bands 

~ Misc items ~ 
Phone charger 
Video camera and charger 
Laptop and charger 
Snacks - still to be packed 
A good book - yet to be decided. 
Headphones 

I decided against bringing a camera for a couple reasons. One being that both of us have iPhones which tend to be our go to as well the video camera has the ability to take photos. So between those and other people's cameras I figure we are set. 

I don't think I really need much else. I didn't use most of what I packed last time so really trying to minimalize this time around. 

A few items I have listed have not yet made it into the bag since they are used quite regularly. 

Others that are still up for consideration include: 

Mini light - I may end up in a shared room and the bedside lights are so bright.
Notebook and pen - with Mav's birth I kept a log of progress etc. 
Deck of cards - for boredom 
Pillow and blanket- I can't remember if I brought one last time... But I do remember being cold at night. 
Hand sanitizer - I'm not big on using it to begin with but being in a germ infested hospital is making me consider. 

I think that's it! I may do a follow up post after the birth to compare this with what was actually brought a used. It still seems like a lot but looking at it all laid out is really not much. 

Alright so now onto the next task ;) 
Later friends.




1 comment:

Unknown said...

You may have to share a room? I didn't know hospitals still did that. I know ours doesn't. No fun!!! And the hospital mesh panties are the bomb. I wore them for weeks because they were the only thing that was comfortable for me after my section. I can't wait to see pictures of this baby and find out if it is a boy or a girl!!! :)