Monday, February 20, 2012

A year later - pt 2

 Warning this post contains some details and memories that might be difficult 
for some people to read. 
 
After finding out about our missed miscarriage  my body begun to finally remove
the previous embryo. This resulted in heavy bleeding at a rapid rate as I begun to 
hemorrhage uncontrollably. After trying to stop the bleeding with pitocin induced 
contractions, and sweeping my cervix for clots I was rushed into emergency surgery 
and told I was going to need a blood transfusion. 

This all occured between February 19th 2011 at 9pm and February 20th 2011 at 4am.
A few hours short of being exactly a year ago. 
 
 
 Originally written some time in March 2011 
"Last night as I lay in bed trying to sleep I kept thinking about that night. This 
happens every now and then when my mind is quiet. The memories creep back 
in like a bad dream, except it wasn't a dream. What I'm remembering was real. 
It usually starts like little flashbacks that then grow into a steady stream. I try not 
to think too long because the reality of it scares me. 
 
 The blood - It started that day like a heavy period, this I was expecting. After 
dinner it intensified and while in the washroom realized my pad was almost full. 
I told Hubby it was time to go home. While standing in the doorway waiting for 
him it really started to come - "forget home lets go to the hospital, something’s not
right" when we got to the hospital 25 minutes later there was a puddle on the seat
of the car and my pants were soaked.    
The triage nurse - it was his first night I remember he told me that as he gathered all 
my information. He seemed slightly excited and nervous at the same time. Later once 
in my room he came back to check on me
The parade of nurses - the senior more experienced nurses took over including 
the charge nurse, I forget all their names there were too many. I barely even saw
the nurse who had been assigned to me... she was young, maybe too new to 
handle a situation like mine.
The blood - I remember the feeling of the blood just pouring out, when it first 
started I only felt it when standing, now I was laying flat on my back and it 
was like someone had turned on a facet inside me.
The fear it wasn't going to stop
The IV's - There were two, one in my left wrist the other my right inner elbow. 
One failed attempt to put one in had left my left hand bruised and sore. The fluid 
going through them felt like ice cold water in my veins.  
The pain - In the beginning it was like period cramps, only much stronger and then 
the contractions started. This was their first plan to stop or at least slow the bleeding,
they gave me a drug called pitocin to make my body go into contractions. The 
contractions felt like intense muscle cramping raging through my whole body. First
it was a dull ache in my lower back, which then spread around my torso to my 
lower abdomen. Eventually I could feel it in my legs, neck and arms.  
My head hurt so badly - my left side of my face and temple like they were going to 
explode, the one nurse didn't seem to know why, I think it was the contractions. 
That didn't exactly make me feel better when she didn't know, now my mind
is running wild with possibilities "what if its a blood clot?" "Am I going to die?" 
The Doctor - "If we can't stop the bleeding were going to have to go to 
the OR" and then "nurse cross her blood type in case we need a transfusion" 
followed by "call gyne we need them now" Nurse: “we already paged a stat call" 
The Gynecologist - She told me we needed to do surgery to stop the bleeding,
"nothing else is working". There were risks involved, and a possibility it wouldn’t
even work. They couldn't find a cause for the hemorrhage so far.  
Being rushed down the corridor to the OR - I've walked those halls many 
times but it was all a blur no idea where I was, it seemed like one giant blur of
a tunnel. All I saw was the flash of the lights overhead and hear the footsteps
they were in a hurry. 
Kissing Hubby goodbye before going thru the giant double doors. 
was still scared of the pain in my head and part of me worried I would never 
see him again. He looked scared too. 
The anesthetic - they put a mask on my face "breathe deeply" the pressure 
on my throat like someone was pushing down on it. 
Saying "I'm scared my head feels funny" seconds before I was out
Waking up - I could hear before I could see - I think I may have been responding 
to questions "open your eyes" feeling foggy then crying when they told me it was over  
 
We returned home the next morning at around 4am; both of us exhausted, 
me still slightly drugged. I remained in the drugged fog for about another 
48 or so hours before finally feeling like normal again. My body ached for 
days, all of my muscles felt like they had been through an intense workout. 
I could barely walk. "

1 comment:

Maria said...

V, this has me bawling...for so many reasons...and such happiness for where you are at today. i remember reading about all the heartache and pain you went through. the feelings of it never ending and getting better. i'm so so happy that you wrote this. i'm sure it was hard as it was cleansing.
thank you for sharing this.
it was beautiful and emotional.

hold your beautiful boy and smile at what an amazing mama you are!!
LOVE and hugs <3
maria