Thursday, July 17, 2014

allergic to everything

This time I'm talking about me.

I've already mentioned my poor boys each have their own food issues, well it seems they come by it honestly from their mama.

Growing up I wasn't allergic to anything. My brother was the one who couldn't have chocolate and dairy and my mom had her own list of things to avoid. But not me, nope I could have anything.

Flash forward to 2005/2006 and I react to something I ate at a restaurant. Turns out I developed a spinach allergy. What? Ya, spinach. Strange but whatever it was totally manageable.

A few years go by and Ty is born Nov 2013, shortly later I eat a chocolate with nuts and my tongue goes numb and has what appears to be hives.... And then it happens again a couple months later. So finally in June I have testing and guess who has developed a postpartum nut allergy.

Yup, this girl right here.

Tree nuts and questionably peanuts. But the spinach test looks clear this time. So I traded one for two? Not only traded but upgraded in the levels of nuisance and item popularity. Nuts are everywhere! For days I was starving because I was afraid to eat. Then I learned that Canadian law is that all foods must contain allergens in bold including anything that may have potentially been cross contained. Ok that makes it a bit easier and I start to get more comfortable.

Until last week when I took the boys to my moms. First day there we stopped at a farm and grabbed fresh strawberries, raspberries and snap peas and ate those along with hotdogs for lunch. And then we called an ambulance because I started reacting and this time in addition to my usual tongue welts I felt like my heart was racing, my stomach turning and like I was going to pass out. Luckily it resolved and no hospital trip was needed.

More testing will occur in 5 weeks to give whatever it was time to leave my system.

Tonight I'm covered in hives, they are on my left leg and knew and behind my elbow. A few are showing up on my right leg as well. They burn and itch like crazy.

What the hell is going on with me???

Seriously. How am I developing all these allergies. I'm getting more and more anxious by the day, being home all day with the kids is nerve wracking. What if I eat something and it's so bad I pass out. I'm terrified.

I took some reactine tonight and took some pictures. Aside from some candies I haven't eaten since dinner, there must be something I came in contact with that's causing this. Something in my own home....

 This is ridiculous.

4 comments:

Rebecca said...

I hope it all sorts out soon, Mrs V. You've been through so much!

Britt said...

Oh my goodness, how scary! Do they do a full allergy panel when they test you or is it limited? Can you request a full allergy panel? Oh I hope you get things figured out quickly!

V said...

Thank you Rebecca! Next week is testing!

V said...

All of my testing so far has been pretty inclusive to the things I'm eating but I'm thinking of requesting a more in depth round. It's so nerve wracking!